Tuesday, September 1, 2009

So, what kind of architecture is it that you do do?

Sometimes the responsibility of being Fearless Leader comes with waking up at 3:30 in the morning thinking about things and not being able to get back to sleep. It's really ok. My most creative thoughts come to me at that time and it's usually best to just get up and put them down while they are fresh.

From left to right, Boris Badenov, Natasha Fat...Image via Wikipedia


So this morning I am mulling over that question that is most often posed to me in casual conversation right after I say "I'm an architect". Usually the very next question is something like "What kind of architect are you?" or better yet, "Do you do houses or buildings?" I can always tell the knowledge level of my new friend by how that question is phrased. It allows me to decide whether the next thing out of my mouth is, "Yes, exactly, do you come here often?", or "I think I hear my mom calling, I gotta go."

But it actually is a very legitimate question to ask and it was something The Crew and I were discussing just yesterday. Well, most of us anyway. Jon has decided to backpack in Colorado for three weeks so he is probably looking at the great Milky Way every night pondering far deeper things.


So, for us, we decided that what kind of architects we ARE is more important than what kind of projects we DO. For instance, if you have never used an architect before and you are opening a small restaurant with your life savings you are going to want someone to walk you through the process, step by step. You may really need us as an ally to help you through the tumultuous permitting phase. You may need us to help with kitchen equipment selection and colors and finishes. You will also feel more comfortable with your contractor if we help you oversee the construction process.
On the other hand, if you are seasoned in the construction process, work for a large company and have a prototypical product that repeats dozens of times in dozens of cities you will probably need us in a far different way. You will already have materials and methods that you want to adhere to. And you may only need us to help obtain a permit, leaving the construction process to you.


I am very lucky to have The Crew, like minded creatures that leave their design egos at the front door every morning and truly look at what it is each client needs. Sometimes it is high design. More often it is not about the design at all, but all about the service. As a bunch we truly do seem to get more satisfaction over great problem solving and making people happy than how a design is going to make us look to others. Don't get me wrong, The Crew can design when called upon to do so. Just look at the samples at www.curtisarchitecture.us. But better yet, they all have a knack for being able to customize their services to meet the specific clients needs at a specific point in time. That's what kind of architecture we "do", and it makes a leader proud. (lump in my throat)

Enough said, if you want proof, you will just have to try us out. I don't know of a better way for you to really know if what I say is true. Now, it's only 4:30 am, I'm going back to bed.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment